Josh is not yet a grandpa, but he has spent considerable time researching the Bible to find out what it has to say about the role of grandparents. He interviewed hundreds of grandparents across the country and learned by and large, grandparents do not know what God's Word has to say about their role as grandparents. They have accepted society's view of grandparents which pretty much boils down to, "closeness at a distance" . . . they are a playmate or companion, but they need to be careful not to interfere in their adult children's lives. This leaves grandparents confused and in most cases, not in a position to influence their grandchildren for Jesus.
So, what is the Biblical role of grandparents? Josh shared how there is one word we find over and over again in the Bible and how it refers to grandparenting. This word is, "Heritage" . . .
- Grandparents inherited faith from God and need to pass it to their grandchildren.
- Deuteronomy 4:1 - "fathers" refers to grandparents - forefathers
- Deuteronomy 4:9 - grandparenting starts in the heart
- Deuteronomy 6:2 - "you, your son and your son's son" - the impact of intentional Christian grandparenting reaches to many generations
- Psalm 78 - fathers are not to hide, but to tell - Grandparents need to pass on their heritage of faith - they need to tell and teach, so their grandchildren will know Him and remember!