Tuesday, January 10, 2017
Grandparents Can Make a Difference . . . By Pointing Their Grandchildren to Jesus!
If you read the Legacy Coalition facebook page, you have likely noticed, and probably enjoy, the photos or memes, which are posted, typically, a couple times a week. I have several which are favorites . . . I especially like the one of the grandpa holding a grandchild and says; “Grandparents, the Original Laptop!”
The other day they posted one of a grandpa holding a baby and it said; “One Grandparent Can Make a Difference”. This is absolutely true. Grandparents absolutely can make a difference, so for the next few days, I’m going to share with you some of the ways we can make a real, lasting and important difference in the lives of our grandchildren; starting with . . . we make a difference in pointing our grandchildren to Jesus!
This is one of the most important things we can do to make a difference in the lives of our grandchildren – point them to Jesus. We need to begin to do this when they are just little by reading to them, singing to them, and by telling them how very much Jesus loves them – and it makes my heart so happy when they tell me now how much they love Jesus!
Pointing our grandchildren to Jesus is not really terribly difficult. You can do it with something as simple as reading to your grandchildren – and there is no shortage of wonderful books out there which you may use to help your grandchildren understand how very much God loves them. I do this with my grandchildren – and you can, too! While I have many wonderful books and resources which I’ve used over the years with my grandchildren to point them to Jesus, I thought I’d share a few of my favorites with you today.
1. Science the Bible & Fun – I wrote this and it gives you 52 weeks of Bible teaching, science experiments, games, crafts, recipes . . . fun and engaging ways to help your grandchildren learn how much Jesus loves them!
2. Helpful Hal’s Treasury of Christian Virtues – this is an old book and can be difficult to find, but if you do, it is sure to be one of your grandchildren’s favorite books. Inside this book you will find twelve, yes twelve fun stories which will have you laughing and learning together . . . and give you many opportunities to talk with your grandchildren about things which really matter.
3. The Cottonmouth Series – this is an unusual set of three books, but the imagery and message is clearly one of sacrifice, love and telling others – the connection to Jesus is one which is there for you to share with your grandchildren.
4. The Threshold Series and all the “Angel stories” from my friend, Christa Kinde. These books will capture the imagination of your grandchildren and leave them in awe of angels – and give them a glimpse of the job angels carry out.
5. Roscoe Riley Rules – a fun series of books which will leave you all laughing as you learn together!
6. Favorite Parables from the Bible: Stories Jesus Told – I LOVE these parables illustrated and told by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen! I bought these books when my children were little and was so happy to see them combined into one book a few years ago . . . if you can find it, you will love it!
7. Sidney and Norman – a Tale of Two Pigs. I love this book – it is one every
grandchild – and grandparent needs to hear . . . often! I can not read it without crying over God's great grace.
8. The Topsy Turvy Kingdom – this is another older book which may not be easy to find, but if you do, you will read it with your grandchildren again and again.
9. The Ten Commands from God’s Own Hands – again, another older book, but
absolutely worth your time in finding it. In this one book you will find ten Bible histories/adventures which illustrate each of the Ten Commandments in a way children – and grandparents – will understand and remember. I LOVE this book!
10. The Lord’s Prayer – Words of Hope and Happiness – I love how this little book “breaks down” the Lord’s Prayer so children – and again, grandparents, will truly understand it!
11. Bash and the Chocolate Milk Cow – I love the “Bash books” . . . and hope to see more released. They are fun chapter books with solid messages – reading a chapter or two each time your grandchildren are at your house would be great fun . . . and give you many opportunities to talk together about the messages in the books . . . and laugh a lot, too!
Well, I could go on and on listing books I love to read to and with my grandchildren; books which give me opportunities to talk with them about how much Jesus loves them . . . which is one of the most important things we can do to make a real difference in the lives of our grandchildren.
It is all about being intentional Christian grandparents . . . we can not just sit back and expect our grandchildren to somehow “absorb” our faith by osmosis. We need to be intentional. We need to have a plan to pass on our faith and sharing books is one simple way we can do this
What are some of your favorite books for passing faith to your grandchildren?