- Hornswaggler – a dirty, thieving swindler.
- Bushwacker – one of the roughest, toughest outlaws around who just waits few ya to pass by so’s they can jump on ya.
- Dadgum – what you say when you’re mighty annoyed at sumphtin or someone. Makes a right nice change from Dagnabbit and Goldurn.
- Confounded – what ya say when things just don’t make no sense. Also comes in handy when you stub your toe.
- Varmit – a small animal or a person you don’t care for very much.
- Sidewinder – the kind of low down snake who will come on all nice like just so’s he can jump your claim.
Tuesday, January 24, 2017
just for fun - Talk Like a Grizzled Prospector Day & Belly Laugh Day!
Since it has been awhile since I shared a “silly holiday” with you, I thought I’d take a look and see if there were any fun, silly holidays we could celebrate today . . . and yes, there are! There are actually two which fit together quite nicely.
First, there is the, “Talk like a Grizzled Prospector Day”. Now, the 19th of September, each year, happens to be, “Talk like a Pirate Day” – I remember this, because the 19th is also one of my grandson’s birthday and each year his parents and brothers dress up with him like pirates and they visit the local Krispy Kreme – they leave with a “booty” of a dozen donuts (each) which they receive for free for dressing and talking like pirates! It is a lot of fun and I receive a great photo of them all each year!
At any rate, “Talk like a Grizzled Prospector Day” is today, and while there are not any free donuts available for you to “discover”, I did find a link online for how you can talk like a grizzled prospector. Here are a few prospector-type words and their definitions . . . and you’ll find the complete list at this link.
Prospector Talk for Beginners –
Lots of fun for sure – or should I say, “fo’ sure!”
The second, “silly holiday” for today is, “Belly Laugh Day” . . . which, if your grandchildren are trying to talk like a grizzled prospector, you are sure to experience a good belly laugh or two! My grandsons fully understand what it means to have a good belly laugh – this holiday is described as:
“Belly Laugh Day is a day for having a good chuckle at anything at all. Did you know laughter has been known to cause the tissue lining our blood vessels to expand and increase blood flow? This in turn makes you feel more positive, poosts your immune systems and generally just makes us feel happier! It can also reduce stress and increase chemicals which help with relaxation. Let’s get people laughing anywhere and everywhere.”
And if you have your grandchildren talking like grizzled prospectors, you are sure to get people around you laughing as well . . . and improving their health, too! So, enjoy the day and have a good belly laugh . . . or two!